From the mouth of the Minho River in the north to the mouth of the Guadiana River in the south, part of the present-day Portuguese-Spanish border extends from the former county of Portugal. From the Treaty of Zamora (1143), which characterizes the birth of Portugal, to the “Reconquista” episode, which culminated in the Treaty of Badajoz (1267), which attributed the Algarve to Portugal, and the Treaty of Alcanizes (1297), a demarcation line has been introduced, rarely revised in more than 700 years. The Double Ravelin is the most elaborate Vauban vorwerk (with a Ravelin and demilunes and ditches that are connected by a drawbridge and which still feature the vaulted poster with a curved plant). The Ravelin du Paiol has two buildings (magazine and chapel), with ramp to the ditch. At the Ravelin de Santo Antonio, as on the Ravelin de Sao Francisco (in the curtain center between the Bullwarks of Sao Francisco and Séo Pedro), there is the double outer door of Sao Francisco or Cruz. Indeed, the village of Valena became the subject of a new project to build ramparts between the last decades of the 17th century and the first quarter of the 18th century. Designed by The elevation and map representation of this Raia of Portuguese Spain [border] were designed for the first time under the auspices of King D. Manuel II, the fruit of the work of Duarte D`Armas between 1509 and 1510, the famous Livro le Fortalezas [book of fortresses], where the plants and views of the Portuguese border fortress are drawn. On this side, you will be able to find barely changed since an agreement of 1297, the border between these two countries is called La Raya on one side – A Raia on the other. Please be sure to leave a comment below if something is fake or missing. Our employees are happy to help.
However, for geomorphological, strategic and even economic reasons, there has always been a band of contact between the two parties, a more or less vast territory, a “no man`s land” which, although it has been constantly challenged economically by both parties and which has often been the trigger for small conflicts, has often played the role of “buffer zone” and has mitigated greater tensions. , because it has always been a space for exchange and interaction between men. Garrison Border town of Elvas and its fortifications: protection of the border between Lisbon, the capital of Portugal, and the capital of Spain, Madrid, in the middle of a rolling river landscape, the garrison border town of Elvas was largely fortified between the 17th and 19th centuries and became the largest system of Bullwark drainage trenches in the world, with outlying fortresses erected on the surrounding hills to better meet the adaptation requirements of the defensive war. In other parts of the border, cooperation is also institutionalized with the establishment of legal structures such as the GECT Duero-Douro between Salamanca and Zamora in Spain and the districts of Bragana and Guarda in Portugal.